Sunday, August 16, 2009

Initial build, RX178 Gundam MKII Titans

So after the kit is washed, my next step is an initial build. As I build, I take notes of what seams might need to be filled, what pieces I may have to alter to make painting easier(head, hands usually fall into this category) and what modifications ascetically speaking I might want to make. Also I feel I get more inspired if I am going to do a custom paint job if I have a built model in my hands. So before the pieces start coming off of sprues, I give the pieces a light spray on the sprue with a surface primer. I use Tamiya surface primer for this step and use the more expensive Mr. Surfacer for the pre paint primer step. The Tamiya will almost all be sanded away, and the initial primer step helps pick out small details and imperfections I might have overlooked if I just cut and snapped the pieces together. So usually with my family and my hectic work schedule, this initial build can take me up to two weeks to complete. Some tools that I will use for the initial build: sprue cutter, #11 exacto knife blade, retractable utility knife, sandpaper from 400 to 1200 grit, China marker(for circling problem areas for puttying, modifications) and a toothbrush. I use the toothbrush to sweep a part clean after sanding or scraping away the sprue nub with the exacto blade. I'll post my notes as I do the build.

No comments:

Post a Comment